Friday 27 November 2009

Masking with Post It Notes



After the excitement of blog candy announcements, it's back to the last of the cards from the last telly show with Kay's stamps.

For this demo, I wanted to show how you can use some of the elements on the sheets.  It is nothing new, it was one of the first techniques I learnt getting on for 20 years ago.  If like me, you have been card making for years, it is nice to revisit these solid core techniques that work time and time again but with new products or designs. 

It is one of the reasons I have stuck with this hobby for so long, there are so many different techniques to try with different materials.  That is the joy of stamping, adapting these techniques with new stuff we have.

Way back when we started and I'd learnt masking to share with customers, we had a stock of small inexpensive stamp designs that were easy to use.  The basic requirements for starting were a smallish stamp, a permanent ink pad, something to colour in with like coloured pencils or a pack of inexpensive brush pens with a paint brush/water, Post It Notes and some white card.

The stamp I used on the show wasn't the easiest example to use for this technique as the design wasn't obvious as to which way round it is, but, if for instance you choose an object that has an obvious top and bottom, like a butterfly, it will be much easier to do when you first try it.

I have to say that when I made the background at home, it went far more smoothly than when I did it on the telly (of course!), I enjoyed revisiting this technique and was happily engrossed in it for quite a while.




Ok, so how to do this for those that haven't tried it yet...

Use a single stamp that is easy to cut out. 

Stamp the design on a Post It Note, stamp at the top of the pad that has the sticky bit underneath.  Take 3 or 4 sheets off the pad and cut out the design.  This will give you 3 or 4 masks.

I find it easier to stamp the first design in the centre of the card, this will make it the focal point as it is going to remain in front of all the others you stamp.

Stamp your design onto a piece of card with a permanent ink pad, (such as Ranger Archival, Stazon, Memories), and allow to completely dry, you can use a heat gun for this.

Place a mask over the design matching the pattern and stamp over the top of the mask with the same design, stamp above/below/wherever you have a large enough space to place the design. 

Add masks over some of the designs you have stamped and continue stamping over them to build up the design until the card is covered.

Colour the designs with whatever you prefer to colour with.  I coloured the background as well to really make the flowers pop out.  I added glitter glue to the flower centres to add extra sparkle.

Well, that is basic masking.  You will find that as the design is quite busy, you can cut borders or mounts from the piece you have made to make quite a few cards, you'll be surprised how far an A4 sheet will go.

OK, another reminder, I hope you will be able to join Tracey and I tomorrow at noon on Create and Craft TV, (Sky 671, Freeview 36).

We'll both give you a wave:)

Jill 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jill, thanks for posting your card and for the tutorial on 'masking'
    As you say, it is nice to go back to 'basics' from time to time.
    Love this card, lilac and lime work so well together.
    I am a big fan of Kay's stamps as you know but will also be watching you and Tracey on Saturday and I will wave back.
    Love & Hugs
    Christine xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL LOL LOL! I just wrote the tutorial for crafty cardmakers and great minds think alike! Our is post it note masking too :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great technique I have yet to try, Jill. I was going to on my last Funky Flowers card but was too lazy to start cutting out the flowers. I will give it a go when I've got a bit more time.
    I will be waving back tomorrow, hope it all goes well.

    Lisax

    ReplyDelete
  4. great tutorial Jill and good luck to ou both tomorrow.i'll be watching!
    speak soon Debbie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you are always trying to take care of the basics for those who are just starting....you really do enjoy teaching your customers and your followers!

    I love these stamps! I have really enjoyed playing with my instrument stamps and hope to get something posted soon with them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the colours on this card too. Thanks for the technique 'refresher' too.

    I'll be watching tomorrow and have already set the box to record. Having missed the last one because we were on holiday and determined to get this on a disc!

    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always really appreciated!